Wednesday, 6 April 2011

A Currumbin Wedding - Kristy and Noah

Towards the end of last year Dean and I decided to take a trip to Australia to visit family and friends and to start planning our slow move out there. You see we are both able to work pretty internationally and from this year onwards I will be spending time in both the UK and Australia, shooting weddings in both countries and appreciating the lifestyles. There is a little calendar at the bottom of the page if you want to see where I am and when!

So while we were in Australia I got the chance to work with a fab photographer Robin Foster who is not only a great new friend but a huge support to me and someone I hope to work with more. Robin had the fabulous wedding of Kristy and Noah coming up and offered me a chance to second shoot with her. I absolutely LOVE second shooting at weddings and so I jumped at the chance!

Kristy and Noah had a gorgeous day! They planned a beautiful beachside wedding at Currumbin Beach on the Gold Coast followed by a chilled out, canapé style reception at the Beach Shack.

I started the day with Robin as she photographed Kristy, her bridesmaids and her mum get ready and just as the girls were about to get dressed, I hopped in my car and set off to find Noah, his groomsmen and sons in Currumbin who were getting prepared for the ceremony.

I arrived with the boys to a slight bit of uncertainty as the normally very predictable Gold Coast weather had decided that it needed to rain and dark clouds were brewing overhead. The original plans for a beach ceremony on Currumbin Rocks were changed in favour of being guaranteed to keep dry and it was decided the ceremony would take place on the balcony of the Beach Shack instead.

It’s always tough having to make decision such as this on your day, especially when all through your planning you have a very clear vision of each and every part of the day. Kristy dreamed of being a barefoot bride and whilst she still got to walk down the aisle barefoot, it was on petals rather than sand and we could still hear the sound of waves crashing behind us... but this way no one had to worry about rain. The saving grace was that both Kristy and Noah had done well to have a strong back up plan thought through in preparation for bad weather. Any couples planning their day should always ensure they do this!

In the end the weather did hold out and we were able to do their bridal portraits on both the beach and in some stunning Hinterland cane fields. The light was amazing, Kristy and Noah so utterly beautiful and so in love that Robin and I could not stop snapping away! Plenty of time was allowed for the photos and so in the end Kristy and Noah truly relaxed into it and the end result being stunning, fun and very emotional images.

Here are some of my images of Kristy and Noah’s day, from the prep to portraits… I hope you enjoy!

The shot with Kristy and the Boomerang…. No props were brought along! As she was walking through the canefield she found it and picked it up to throw…. I just love it!


As some of you may know, in September last year I left my full time job in marketing to concentrate on my photography full time and to also take a little time out to do some travelling with my husband. I can honestly say I have never been happier! Not only am I seeing amazing parts of the world but I finally feel like I have found what I was meant to do. I know that sounds cliché but I really do.

The last 12 months have been a total whirlwind for me. Whilst I had been actively pursuing photography as a hobby for many years, my love of wedding photography started to really grow when I started looking for my own wedding photographer three years ago and since then it has built into an obsession. I shot my first wedding 13 months ago and I am now staring down the barrel of a fully loaded, very exciting 2011 and 2012 with weddings that I literally cannot wait to photograph. ..and the most amazing thing is that I am going to get to travel the world to work. This year I have weddings throughout the UK, in France, Brazil and my soon to be second home, Australia.

If you are planning your wedding in Australia, the UK or any part of the world feel free to be in touch as I love to travel and may just be headed your way anyway!

9 comments:

  1. Uh-ma-zing. And also, how gorgeous are they?? Please could you bring some of the lovely light back for me when you go next time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these are amazing. You did a fantastic job. What a stunning wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. im so please that having taken those scary steps into the world of photography is paying off...your images are glorious...i wish you all the luck and happiness in the world!
    Keep these beautiful photos coming ;)x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely breathtaking Debs, you and they must be sooo delighted with these. Wonderful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debs, these are soooooo beautiful. I adore your editing on them, so clean and simple. Stunning couple too! Congrats on your life change. So often the anticipation of big changes is harder than going through them. I wish you all the best x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really wonderful set of images, natural & beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debs, these are so gorgeous. I especially love the little shots of the grass that are added in amongst the wedding portraits, those quiet moments in the photographs are perfect.

    And it doesn't matter how many times I read this, my brain is CONVINCED that it's a Cumbrian wedding. Stupid brain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous photos Debs! Beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Such stunning photos...Well done for having the courage to follow your dreams. How wonderful that you get to travel the world while doing something you love!

    ReplyDelete

Travel Dates and Availability

Travel Dates and Availability