Tuesday, 26 July 2011

{This is Africa} The Magic Box

All through the countries we have travelled I have always been super cautious about photographing people. At weddings and in my life outside of work and travel I snap away and love people portraiture but I do know that in some countries, culturally some people do not like to have their pictures taken. In some countries such as Uganda, Oman and Morocco people feel that to have your photo taken is to steal ones soul. I respect that and so I try and stay cautious.

There are however times when having the camera out brings so much pleasure. As my fellow traveller Alice said, the camera is like a 'Magic Box'. Children scream and laugh at the sight of themselves on the back of the camera and demand "another" as they fight to get in the frame. They jostle and bustle each other and fall all over one another having so much fun.

Whilst on our trip we have had a lot of fun with younger kids in the towns we have visited, causing complete commotion and at some times having to restore a little order as the kids bustle dangerously close to fighting each other to get their pictures taken!
I wanted to share with you some of the fun we have had. Some of the beautiful faces we have seen. Hardly and of these are taken with my pro camera... in fact only 3 were. I do carry my camera everywhere but some times it is not always appropriate to bring it out. Mostly I have my little Lumix DMC-TZ8 point and shoot with me which has now seen many fingerprints and lots of dust cake the lens as eager hands reach out to see their photo on the back of the Magic Box. So whilst not technically amazing, these are some of my favourite pictures from our trip! I hope they make you smile as much as they make me.

3 comments:

  1. Love the 1st b&w one, that expression is golden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's so fantastic to hear all the amazing things you've been up to. What an experience!!! Beautiful photographs too, as always! The ones of the kids are incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete

Travel Dates and Availability

Travel Dates and Availability